Sunday 29 December 2013

The Most Rewarding Work



Nothing feels better than returning home late in the evening, covered in red dirt, sticky and sweaty, hungry and exhausted, but happy. Happy because you know you made somebody’s day a little brighter; because you made somebody smile, or laugh; happy because you, through the small and sometimes unnoticed deeds, have truly made a difference.
The most rewarding work is service. Yes there is no finical gain, but the feeling you receive after you serve holds more value than any paycheck you could ever receive.  

That’s how I felt after returning from a very busy day at an orphanage. Spent the day in the hot sun with kids clinging to me, introducing themselves, and like always, inspecting my long hair!
Seeing a child’s face light up when you wave, or kneel down for a quick conversation is the most heart – warming thing in the universe. It’s in these tender moments that I feel the love of Christ and am able to forget about MY needs, and loose myself in the service of another.

I had a little boy walk around with us the whole day, and gracious goodness did he have personality. He was four years old but didn’t speak any English, so when I spoke some Luganda to him his reaction was priceless. I think it was the first time a white person had ever spoken his language, and his facial expression showed just how surprised he was!

What I loved so much about this orphanage is how they all looked out for one other. My Dad pulled out some magic tricks and asked a little boy to be a volunteer. He was young and didn’t know English so the other kids translated for him, and through the other kids we found out he was really shy, so they suggested we use someone else. It was like a real family, the older ones looking out for the youngster, and each of them knew everybody’s name, age and personality. I was pretty impressed, because I couldn’t remember a single persons name!
Though we had no gifts to give them, our presence was enough. They didn’t expect anything, and were content just holding our hands.
I cannot wait to return with my guitar and hit up some tunes with them! They’ve made a fantastic band equipped with trumpets, trombones, saxophones, violins, snares, guitars, flutes and many other instruments that have been donated. And they’re amazing – they would put our school bands to shame back home!

I believe these are experiences every person needs to have, it will eat away your greed and replace it with gratitude.

Cheers
Savannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment