Tuesday 11 March 2014

A Different Perspective

All my life I've only had one perspective, and that was my own. Formed and created inside my perfect little world, that now seems like fairy-tale land compared to the reality 80% of the world lives in.
For the past couple of days I have been completely and utterly confused and lost, as suddenly my whole world has capsized when I opened my eyes, and allowed the emotions that have been swelling within me for months to escape. 

I'm the kind of person who wants to live a happy meaningful life, and until now I believed I could fulfill that by living an ordinary life. For instance, I've always had a dream of doing a biking trip with my iPod, because when I combine nature and music, it makes me feel in heaven. So I thought I'd bike the UK when I got a little older. I also have been looking forward to getting my L, start being more independent, and simply enjoying my youthful years, which includes Chick-Flick movie nights, shopping at the mall and so forth. 

Now however, I'm not so certain. All I see when I look at that list is a self-centered life. Working to earn money...for myself. Biking because it makes ME feel good. Me me me, that's all I thought about. Now there's the child with burn marks from extensive abuse, the baby who was abandoned on the side of the road. Outside of the orphanage there's the teenager who awakes at 5am to study, before heading to school at 7am, where they then study until 7pm, walk home by 9pm, and study until midnight. After all their hard work, what are their rewards? Nothing. They still can't find jobs and make a living. Yet they work harder than I ever had in my life. There's the older brother caring for his four younger siblings, skipping meals to pay their school fees.
Now there is someone other than me. There's a life I never even knew existed. There's a life with value, with purpose much greater than Friday Night Pizza. I see a life that expands beyond me, and my wants and needs. 
I don't have all the answers to my endless questions, but I do know this. I am ready to give up everything and dedicate myself to serve these people. To give them the opportunities that come daily to me, but are once in a lifetime to them. I want to make OTHERS feel joy, and I know through doing this I will accomplish my goal in life. I will be happy, successful and live a life of worth. 

Cheers 
Savannah

No comments:

Post a Comment