Friday 29 November 2013

10 Things I Regret Taking For Granted!


10 things I REGRET taking for granted:

Today marks a month of being in Uganda and this last week I’ve really been missing some things that seemed pretty minor here, but would mean the world to me here! So without further ado here are the 10 things I regret taking for granted!

1.    Drinkable tap water! I’d give anything to turn my tap and be able to drink the water that pours out! You don’t even notice how hard it is to brush your teeth with no running water! The process requires you to take a water bottle into the kitchen to pump the drinking water from the container, then steadily pour it with one hand – and in my I brush with my right and pour with my left, which makes it even more trickier because I’m right handed! Tricky tricky!
2.    Internet! It comes as no surprise that I’d miss the Internet, I knew that before I even left because I’ve to third world countries and experienced the frustration of not being able to access the Internet! So to all my friends who are currently draining hours of their time on the Internet…ENJOY IT! Because I’m telling you right now I’d give a million bucks just to have unlimited Internet for ONE DAY.
3.    Plugs! Oh my jolly goodness all I want to do right now is just plug in my flipping computer without searching for one of the four converters we have and then plugging it in to find my outlet is on strike for the day and won’t give me power. Dear goodness I’d just love to have everything charged up and never have to look at the battery life again!
4.    Water pressure! We’re supposed to have quick showers here because hot water is scarce and there’s six of us living in this house, so you have to be considerate about the next in line…HOWEVER, when the water pressure is at 1% and you have hair almost down to your hips it takes a good minute just to soak my hair, then shampooing, then rinsing, then conditioner, then rinse…I sometimes just want to fill 4 buckets up throughout the day and just pour them on after each “cycle” so the process will be quickened.
5.    Friends! I miss talking with people so much it’s driving me nuts! Although there are PLENTY of people here your conversation is so limited not only by the language but the topics which you can talk about. There is very little common ground here so when you find some you really got to keep it going as long as possible J Some conversations can get pretty awkward with the silence.
6.    Solitude. I have always been called an extravert, but I don’t care how much I like people I like my personal space…I like my solitude. I could spend hours by myself in my room and I wouldn’t complain, which is why Emma got mad at me when we were little because I’d go off and play my own little games while she ALWAYS wanted me to play with her. But here I can’t even leave the gate without having someone with me! Which is hard because back home I used to go on walks whenever I got overwhelmed or just needed some space…but here I always gotta have my buddy J It isn’t bad but there are those occasion days when I’d like to have the house to myself for an hour or two. But at the same time I’m to scared to be home by myself especially because our neighbors have now told us to lock the door even when we’re home because people get quite anxious at Christmas time and do some crazy things.
7.    Cold hot chocolate nights! Oh man I’d die to be in the middle of a snowstorm listening to some Christmas music with a warm cup of coco in my hand and a pair of sweat pants with a big hoodie and fuzzy socks on! I just want winter! And especially because Christmas is nigh the craving for a snowfall and some mint hot chocolate! Ah man the very thought gets me anxious!
8.    A piano! I didn’t realize how much I loved the piano until I didn’t have one! The first few weeks I was going through “withdrawals,” and now I’m just panicking I may never afford one here.
9.    Fitting in. You have no idea how I long to walk down the streets without eyes following me like a hawk and without people turning around and starring! I see big parties happening each weekend, friends and family enjoying each other’s company while I strum my lonely ukulele in my room. I’m not complaining…just observing!
10. Freedom. I hate being locked inside a gate and having to wait for someone willing to go outside with me before leaving. However today I did get to go out with Margret – our maid and help her sell her crisps – chips at the market. So I guess it’s not terrible but at the same time I’d like to teleport back to Tatlow Road and walk down to the Ocean, or walk to my friends house without being alert J

No comments:

Post a Comment