Tuesday 29 October 2013

A Dream Come True



Ah man this day couldn’t have gone better! Let’s just say today I experienced the Africa I was wishing for! To start the day off it was music day at school, which means they take a huge stereo in the courtyard, crank the music up and the kids practice their dances – they did about 3 different ones. So we walked kids from the age of 2 – 10 do their tribal dances! It was awesome. Some of them got so into it, I don’t think I could move my hips like some of those two year olds. They are born with the beat.
Then after a long morning of watching them dance and sing the dream came true…I rode in a landrover! Holy crap they are tanks! We are allowed to use it all we want even when we move to our house! So stoked. You can’t say you’ve experienced Africa until you’ve driven a landrover! So rad. But the best part of the day was going to the Sanyu Babies Home! We have arranged to volunteer there 3-4 days a week taking on the morning shifts (7am-1pm). We got a tour by a very nice guy James who took us through all the rooms showing us all the different things to do. Oh my are we going to have fun! On our way out James asked if we wanted to hold a baby – it’s pretty much rooms full of babies lying in cribs waiting to be held, fed and changed. Of course I wanted to so I picked up a little girl in the 3-6 month room and just got to hold her for 20 minutes? It was so heartwarming, here are little babies just waiting to be held! Most of their heads are flat on the sides because they’ve been left in their cribs to long. Something as simple as just bouncing a baby in your arms can be the greatest service here.
Emma held a baby, James who had just arrived – James, the tour guide got to name him…so he named him after himself. It was seriously the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen! Next time I’m heading to the newborns room!
Oh and a side note, I’m learning Luganda and I think I’ve finally found a language I can learn! I can already have a 30 second conversation with someone. The kids get quite a laugh when I attempt to speak to them in Luganda J I envy how easily they speak English and Luganda.

Anyways today was awesome!
Oh and yesterday I walked in my room and there was a monkey sitting on the windowsill, I LOVE AFRICA! 

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you Emma.. Look how your changed in 4 days (using the whole dirty fork).. What will you be like when you return. Its hard to imagine an even more amazing Emma than already exists.

    ReplyDelete