Friday 3 January 2014

The Greatest Pain

Pain is often mentioned as a physical feeling, but I want to refer to it in an emotional sense.
Over the last three months I have undergone a major change; my perspective, character and goals for the future have completely altered because of the things I’ve witnessed since moving in Uganda.

I have come to the conclusion that the greatest pain these people experience is, having the desire to live but not the ability.

Back home the main causes of death is heart disease and cancer. Here it can be as simple as a mosquito bit – malaria, even childbirth takes more peoples lives than diabetes. People drop like flies from diseases you get immunized at birth for. There is no need for these people to be dying!

I think the greatest pain I feel here, is seeing SO many things that I could improve, but not knowing where to start. Within five minutes of walking down the road you witness things that bring tears to your eyes, like toddlers begging on the side of the highway, a young family living in a tiny one room cement hut with mats on the floor for beds.

I wish people could come here and see with their own eyes the conditions 80% of the world lives in. Your perception of poor will change completely. I’m almost at the point where I just want to empty my bank account and put my money to GOOD use. In the long run, what is life all about? It’s not about beating everyone else in the race of survival; it’s about being a crunch to those who are unable to finish on their own. We have all the resources, all the luxury and all the wealth we could ask for, and instead of generously sharing it, we lock it in a safe and hide the key. I used to love keeping my money to myself; I didn’t even like spending it on things for myself, because that meant I gave it away. But now I realize, it’s our obligation to help those who were not blessed which such great fortune. Yes the colour of our skin may be different, the words we speak of another language, but we’re the same, we’re ALL equal. People are the same wherever you go!
That’s why I still can’t find a suitable reason for someone to live in a 12,000sq. ft. mansion while someone else sleeps on a red dirt floor. There is no reason for someone to throw away their leftovers while there’s a whole family going to bed hungry.
Don’t wait for someone else to get the ball rolling because YOU can make a difference. You have the power to change someone’s life; don’t waste another minute waiting, because each minute you wait, another life is lost. You have no idea the impact you can make.

Cheers

Savannah

1 comment: