Sunday 19 January 2014

An Amazing Week


This week has by far been one of the most enjoyable and amazing weeks since arriving in Uganda!! We returned to Sanyus baby home for the first time since our arrival, and my oh my was it amazing. I came away quite humbled and somewhat confused. It's very hard to wrap your head around why you were blessed with soooo much, when there are other children who don't even have parents, nevertheless their own clothes and bed. It's especially hard when you see people complaining about things like their bedroom - too small, not the right colour, or their parents - how they have too many rules etc. When there are kids who don't have any of that. 

Saturday was an insanely fun day. We spent the morning at training, which usually consists of me entertaining the kids so they don't make too much noise, or listening to my iPod. This time however I was speaking some of my fluent Uganda - sarcasm, to Deborah (a little girl who lives at the school we do our training at) So I spoke maybe a handful of words to her…big mistake. I guess she thought I was fluent in the language afterwards, so she kept speaking Luganda to me the rest of the day. I actually picked up a couple words from her, and she learnt how to say my name! It was probably the cutest thing I've ever witnessed in my life! 
Afterwards we headed to the church for Young Womens. I think this night was a big turning point for me in Uganda. I stated before that Uganda is home, but tonight I think the longing for my friends and family in Canada was replaced by the fun I had with these girls. We baked Canadian and Ugandan pancakes, and then played a ridiculously intense game - keep away. I thought it was just gonna be a couple girls tossing a ball back and forth…HECK NO! The ball was flying left right and centre and so were these girls! I accidentally ran into a little tree, got smacked in the face with the ball but man I was in heaven. Back home I always got annoyed because the girls never got into the game, and here I have to admit I was a little terrified they would body slam me to the ground! Haha. If you're competitive, you need play with Ugandans, 'cause there take their games quite seriously! 

I'm really loving it here. The language is quite tough, but I am slowly plodding along. I'm getting more and more determined each time I meet new people who don't speak English. One sentence at a time :) The weather has soared, an average of 30 degrees each day. It doesn't cool off in the evenings, it was 26degrees at midnight! That's hotter then midday in July back home! Our neighbours have a million pigs that literally scream each morning - you'd think they're being skinned alive or something. So I'm quite deprived of sleep at the current moment. There's nothing I will miss right now, though lately I've had a huge graving for a cream cheese bagel…strange what things you begin to miss when you've been in Africa too long. 

Cheers!
Savannah 

No comments:

Post a Comment